Saturday, July 24, 2010

Street Music in Toronto

I had originally gone downtown Toronto to see Stars play at the Queen St. HMV, unfortunately it was not the best of days outside and parts of the subway were closed so I decided not to stick around for the performance. But while I was downtown I did see some interesting street music aside from the usual drums, guitar and bagpipes that are always around. I came around a man, I believe he was sitting somewhere along Queen St., and he was playing a saw with a violin bow. To create different notes he bent the blade using a handle attached at the end. He was managing to create some quite haunting music on it and I thought this is probably one of the most interesting instruments I have seen in a while.

I only wish I had a camera with me because my phone's quality is atrocious. But, I searched YouTube and was of course able to find someone playing similarly.

No comments:

Post a Comment