Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First Impressions

Here are some short reviews after listening to some albums released today. These are after my first listen through the albums and as I hear the songs more and more, they may grow on me.


Buckcherry's All Night Long

This album was decent. I didn't know what to expect because I don't listen to much Buckcherry. I thought it was as good or better than other Buckcherry music I know. If you want to prove me wrong, please do so, I always enjoy finding music I had previously overlooked. My favourite song on the album is "Liberty". I see this being picked up by radio stations and doing the best out of all singles. The chorus is quite catchy and I just love how Josh Todd says little darling. It has a quiter section with a southern blues-rock and folk style just before the chorus picks back up near the end, which was very interesting. I also thought "Our World", the song written for the aid of BP oil spill, was one of the better songs on the album. I read what this song was about and thought it would just be something to capitalize on headlines and be used in public service announcements. This was not the case. Overall, I found the album had great rock sound, but still not a favourite of mind. Maybe if you're a Buckcherry fan you'll find this album amazing. I think there are some songs that have the potential to develop into rock anthems, such as "All Night Long" or "It's a Party". They will definitely be blasting at parties and out of car stereos cruising the midnight highways.

As for the Reckless Sons acoustic EP, included in deluxe editions, I won't say much. I liked the EP more than the album and it is definitely worth getting. It shows Buckcherry's artistic side, as opposed to rockstar side you see on the album. It is more musical and I enjoyed the sound a lot more, even though previously I've never enjoyed all acoustic album or EPs. This is not just padding to increase the "worth" of the album or give more "bang for your buck".

Arcade Fire's The Suburbs

I found this album more comparable to Funeral. In my opinion it is better than Neon Bible, and like the first album is a treat for the ears from start to finish. If this album was a meal, you have a delicious appetizer and meal, and when you are already satisfied the waiter brings out a dessert cart full of 14 mouth-watering options. Since you can't possible choose, you just have to eat them all. I thought this album was particularly inspiring, just because the tales told in many of the songs are easy to relate to and with such variety of music there are many things to drawn inspiration from. I find it interesting to be listening to these bands now, knowing that in 10 or 20 years new bands will be citing them as their influences. Classic rock bands that I listen to today, such as the Beatles, had music from almost every genre and have influenced pretty much every band out there, whether they say so or not. Could Arcade Fire be one such band in the future?

Like always, Arcade Fire is pleasing because their albums offer so much variety in the styles of sound and vocals. This album was epic both in its greatness and its sounds. Some songs almost sounded like part of a movie soundtrack, and the stories in the lyrics only help add to this image. The only bad thing I can think of to tell you is that I can't pick a favourite song. So to people who look at the history of great Canadian musicians and still believe we are grades below everyone else, you have officially been proved wrong. Arcade Fire is doing wonders for the view of the Canadian music scene and are the most creative and innovative modern band.

The Suburbs is an absolute must have. If you can't afford to buy it, you have two options. Sell your children or download it, either way I think the law make an exception in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment